The Faculty’s role is to support and enable communities in New Zealand and internationally to meet the environmental, social and political changes of the 21st century.
The Faculty is made up of two departments and one school:
* Department of Environmental Management
* Department of Tourism, Sport and Society
* School of Landscape Architecture.
Staff are involved both in teaching a wide range of courses within the academic programmes of the University and in carrying out research in their areas of expertise.
Postgraduate student supervision is one of the Faculty's key strengths and increasingly, graduating students are carrying their research through to formal refereed publication.
There are two research centres aligned with the Faculty:
* The Centre for Land, Environment and People
* The WaterWays Centre for Freshwater Management (in conjunction with the University of Canterbury).