CACHED

History | Lincoln University

Lincoln is New Zealand’s third oldest university.

Enrol online Skip to main content

History

Lincoln is New Zealand’s third oldest university.

Founded in 1878 as a School of Agriculture, the institution was linked to Canterbury College, welcoming its first intake of students in 1880.
 
In 1896, with agriculture now well established as the mainstay of New Zealand’s exports, the School of Agriculture separated from Canterbury College and became Canterbury Agricultural College, with its own governing body and the ability to award degrees through the University of New Zealand.
 
In 1961, the University was officially renamed Lincoln College, becoming a constituent college of the University of Canterbury. In 1990, Lincoln University formally separated from the University of Canterbury and became the self-governing national university that it is today.
 
On 1 January 2011, Telford Rural Polytechnic was incorporated into the University as what is now called Lincoln-Telford Division.
 
For more information about Lincoln's history, visit our Living Heritage - Tikaka Tōku Iho website, which contains an online history of the people, events, and community since the founding of the institution.

Lincoln University website redevelopment project 2014
Developers
Nick Goodey - C# back end and SharePoint Developer
Star Chen - Web Developer
Karaitiana Taiuru - Web Developer SharePoint administrator
Ting Wu - Front end Developer
Managers
Jeremy Baker - Senior managment
Tafflyn Bradford-James Marketing director
Richard Corby - Project manager
Suppliers
Pikselin - primary partner, web designers, UX design