As an international student, to study in New Zealand, you must have a student visa. Below you will find details on how to go about this.
To apply, you will need to submit:
- A completed Student Visa Application Form (INZ 1012) for a temporary stay in New Zealand
- Your passport and two passport photos
- Offer of Place Certificate (issued after all conditions of admission have been met)
- Receipt of payment of tuition fees
- Evidence of funds to support yourself.
Students who are overseas must submit completed application to nearest INZ branch. Allow sufficient time for your visa to be processed.
For more information regarding your ability to study in New Zealand, visit the Immigration New Zealand 'Can I study?' website.
In addition, you may need to provide:
- A medical and chest x-ray certificate if you are applying to study for more than 12 months, AND
- A police certificate from the relevant authorities in your country of citizenship if you are applying to study for more than 24 months
- Please phone Immigration to find out if these are required - ph:0508 558 855 (in NZ)
An 'Offer of Place' from the University does not in itself guarantee a student visa being issued.
Full details and advice on your rights to work while you study can be found on the Immigration New Zealand website.
If you're already here, Student Administration can assist you in renewing or applying for your student visa. It usually takes one-two weeks to process your visa application.
You will need to provide:
- A current New Zealand bank statement in your name showing three months worth of transactions. You need to have NZ$7,500 (half year) or NZ$15,000 (one year) for living expenses, OR a completed Financial Undertaking form or Sponsorship form
- PLUS you need to show that you have sufficient funds held in New Zealand to cover the cost of outward travel to a country which you have a right of entry (approximately $1,500-$2,000), OR a fully paid travel ticket to any such country
- Your receipt for the payment of your tuition fees OR original scholarship letter
- Your passport
- A completed Student Visa Application form (INZ 1012) available from Student Administration
- A completed and signed Student Visa Renewal Checklist form available from Student Administration
- NZ$180.00^ application fee.
^ This fee is applicable from 8 December 2015.
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am - 4.30pm
For further information on visa requirements please refer to the Immigration New Zealand website.
For more information please contact:
PO Box 85084
Phone: +64 3 423 0000