Lincoln University has well-established post-graduate programmes in International Development, with specialisations in International Rural Development, Rural Finance, Natural Resources Management and Tourism Management. These programmes align with the University’s focus on land and with the Millennium Development Goals of ending extreme poverty and hunger and promoting environmental sustainability.
The University hosts LUCID, the Lincoln University Centre for International Development. LUCID facilitates staff involvement in long-term development projects with a research or education focus, is a forum for visiting scholars, facilitates research collaboration, and provides a focal point for post-graduate students studying international development. At present LUCID supports two research themes, ‘Agribusiness for Development’ and ‘Rural Finance’, and intends to add a third - ‘Managing Natural and Eco-tourism Resources’. Lincoln academics have considerable expertise and international experience in these research areas, which are a popular choice for international students, mostly from South East Asia and the Pacific Island countries.
Specific areas of staff and postgraduate research are:
- Agribusiness supply chains, for example, information flows and smallholder access to supply chains in Nepal, innovation in fresh project chains in Papua New Guinea.
- Producer organisations, for example, performance of farmer companies in Sri Lanka.
- Rural finance markets, for example, micro-finance impact and access in Vietnam.
- Land markets, for example, efficiency and equity effects of rental markets for farmland in Vietnam.
- Management of shared natural resources, for example, co-management of communal forest in the Philippines.
- Tourism, for example, Community-based ecotourism in Cambodia Lao PDR.
- Rural entrepreneurship and risk, for example, women as entrepreneurs in informal produce chains in Papua and Indonesia.
Find out more:
If you are interested in studying development at Lincoln University, please contact one of the people listed below: