We operate a primary caregiving system which means that each staff member has overall responsibility for a group of children. Primary caregiving is in place so that children are able to form a secure bond with one staff member and so that their settling process is kept as simple as possible. Your child’s primary caregiver will be assigned during your pre-visits. She will then be responsible for managing your child’s settling process and meeting your child’s needs as they integrate into LUECC. Once your child has settled, their care giving routines will be shared amongst core staff. At this point your child’s primary caregiver is responsible for writing your child’s weekly email update or daily notebook (infants). This teacher will also put together your child’s profile book and maintain it with stories and photographs, as well as ensure your child’s overall wellbeing, therefore they would be the best person to talk to if there are any concerns about your child.
May we suggest some ways of making separation easier:
- A pre-enrolment parent/caregiver visit with the child at least 3 times prior to enrolment date is required
- Be sure as parents/caregivers that you are aware of the Centre’s settling in procedures and policy
- On your departure from the Centre, remember to make your normal farewell routines and pass your child to the care of a staff member. If necessary, support and stay with your child until they are settled. Assure your child that you will be back
- Ask staff anything you want to know about how your child has settled
- A familiar toy or cuddly may be brought from home for security if needed during the settling process, though we ask toys in general are kept at home as we are a well resourced centre.
- Staff understand that the separation process can be upsetting for both child/children and parents. We encourage parents/caregivers to phone the Centre with any concerns regarding the settling in of your child
We believe that each child is unique and will settle in their own way.