Scopia is the Video Conferencing Service operated on the KAREN network. This is therefore, the only service recommended and supported by Lincoln University.
It provides members with a free software-based solution for connecting users from their desktop computer to the KAREN Video Bridge. Scopia Desktop - Overview
The best way to see how to operate Scopia is to use the national test room (http://sds.karen.net.nz/scopia?ID=6222&autojoin). You can also arrange a test meeting with someone from the Service Desk.
All participating members of a conference will need to have the Scopia Desktop Client installed:
You cannot use Scopia to connect to Skype or MSN or alternative conferencing tool. Please direct other conference members to the link above so they can download, install and participate.
Listed below are the departmental virtual rooms. Please contact your departmental administrator for the PIN and to check the room is available.
We recommend you install the Scopia Desktop Client beforehand. To install the client, go to http://sds.karen.net.nz/scopia?client (online install), or download the 'executable' file to install locally from http://karen.net.nz/services/scopia-desktop-installation.
In order to enter a room you will need the PIN number. Click on the relevant room to launch.
If you use Scopia often, you may want to install the Outlook Add-in, which will generate a meeting invitation explaining how to use Scopia, which you can send to participants of your meetings.
- Go to the Scopia meeting webpage: http://sds.karen.net.nz/scopia/entry/index.jsp?client
- Down the bottom click Click here to install these options
- Tick SCOPIA Add-in for Microsoft Office Outlook
- Click Install. Click Close.
- Close Microsoft Outlook, and re-open it again.
- In the Home tab, on the right-hand-side, two extra buttons will appear like this:
- Click Settings, and enter the Room number and Room PIN of the Virtual Scopia Room that you use (probably your department's Virtual Scopia Room - in which case ask your departmental administrator for the Room number and Room PIN). Click OK.
- Then click the SCOPIA Meeting button. It will generate a meeting invitation with the details of how to connect to that Virtual Scopia Room.
- You can then send the email to the meeting participants.