Need help during our Virtual Open Day?
If you are having any technical issues please check out the below or get in touch with us via the Live Chat function. We will do everything we can to get your Virtual Open Day back on track.
The most common issues accessing online content tend to be because of one of the following:
- Your device (laptop or tablet)
- Your WiFi
- Your location
- Local, national or international bandwidth limits or congestion
- An issue with the specific application, service or server you are trying to access.
In the first instance, we suggest that you check whether one of these factors is impacting your virtual open day experience.
Steps to address these common issues:
- Start with a simple reboot of your device. Don’t just log off, but actually shut down and restart.
- Check that your device is up-to-date with the latest patches and updates.
- Check that your anti-virus software is up-to-date and do a full scan of your device. If you do not have anti-virus software, there are options – even free ones.
- Make sure that your firewall is on.
- Close down other applications that don’t need to be open, such as Skype, Spotify and iTunes, as they use internet and device resources.
- Check your WiFi signal:
- Inspect the connection indicator on your device and ensure that three or more bars are showing
- Make sure you’re close enough to the access point/router
- Turn off or disconnect other devices that use WiFi
- If there are a few people using a single WiFi access point, this could be the cause of the problem and you may need to ask others in your house to stop using the WiFi during Virtual Open Day
- Check to see if the issue is with your device by trying a different internet service. Cell-phones have a hotspot function that uses cellular data instead of home broadband
- If your device is working and your local WiFi is strong, check your internet connection. Click here to run a speed test and take note of your download and upload speeds. You’ll need at least 8MB/s down and 2MB/s up to use video content.
- If you’re having problems specifically with Zoom, try a different browser or clear your local cache and cookies.
What to do if none of that is working
If you are still having issues accessing content on the Virtual Open Day event site, please send us a message using the live chat function. For your message please start with “IT Help” and then explain the issue you’re experiencing as clearly as you can.
Your privacy will be observed throughout this event. All questions received through the Live Chat are anonymous. When you ask questions on Zoom, unless you choose to identify yourself, these are also anonymous. These questions will not be linked to your personal details.