All international students, including those at PhD level, must maintain appropriate medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand, from the time they enrol until their visa expires.
Because we observe the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students, this is carefully monitored. All New Zealand universities endorse the insurance plan known as Studentsafe University, which is the preferred insurance at Lincoln.
Although not compulsory for Australian students, we still recommend that you take out appropriate medical and travel insurance for the duration of your study if you are from Australia.
The benefits of Studentsafe University
- Free health care from the doctor, nurses, or counselling staff at our on-campus Student Health and Support facility for matters within the scope of insurance
- No application forms. The premium will be added to your tuition fees when you enrol. You will be automatically insured for up to 31 days before the course start date, including insurance for travel from your home country. (You will need to advise the admission staff if you decide to purchase an alternative approved policy.)
- Management by an insurance broker. MARSH Ltd manages the plan on behalf of all New Zealand universities.
Studentsafe University pricing
The following prices are in New Zealand dollars and are effective from 1 January 2021*:
- $670.00, based on a standard full-time study programme of 120 credits
- $335.00, based on a standard full-time study programme of 60 credits
For students on part-year programmes only:
- $55.83 per month for courses of less than one month
- For courses of more than one month, minimum cover is two months ($111.67).
If you are bringing family members with you to New Zealand, then you should purchase a Couple or Family policy. Normally, based on a standard full-time study programme of 120 credits, the following would apply:
- $1,340.00 (Couple Premium rate)
- $1,675.00 (Family Premium rate).
Applications for Family or Single policies must be finalised by the last date of enrolment for the semester (refer to Key Dates). PhD students must finalise their policy within the first month of the programme start date.
*Insurance premiums are subject to an annual review and occasional market fluctuations.
Other insurance policies
If you choose to purchase a different policy, you need to make sure that it is compliant and covers the length of your visa, including the period of your enrolment. The expiry date must be valid until your return home, or for the period of your student visa if you are staying in New Zealand.
MARSH Ltd provides an assessment service advising Lincoln University of policies that meet the required standards. Please complete our Insurance Policy Assessment Application Form. We strongly advise that you do not take out insurance from your home country, as policies generally do not meet the specific requirements for New Zealand compliance. The following New Zealand policy has been assessed and approved by MARSH as compliant**:
• Studentsafe-University – Allianz
Other policies may provide the same or equivalent cover and if so, they would be acceptable substitutes:
- Uni-care NZ Student Plan
- Studentcare Plus Plan - Interglobal Insurance Company Ltd
- Orbit Protect Student Prime
- Southern Cross International Student Plan
**Lincoln University reserves the right to amend this list at any time.