Introduction to Tourism
You’ll join a discussion about tourism’s global, national and regional significance, its various contributing industry sectors and the major development and management issues.
|Prerequisites and Restrictions|| You must satisfy the following requirement(s):
|Available semesters||January Summer School 2024 Semester 1 2024|
What you will learn
After successfully completing this course, you’ll be able to:
- Outline the role of destination regions, the tourism industry, and government within the tourism system.
- Discuss tourism’s significance at global, national and regional scales with special reference to Aotearoa-New Zealand.
- Identify and explain the basic characteristics of the tourism industry’s main sectors.
- Explain the scope of marketing as an essential component of tourism systems.
- Outline the various economic, socio-cultural, political and environmental impacts of tourism on the host community as it relates to the concept of sustainability.
- Identify and explain the major management and development issues arising from tourism activity.
- Access and use valuable tourism resources available on the Internet.
- Evaluate the factors that contribute to a successful tourism experience.
Associate Professor Joanna Fountain
Department of Tourism, Sport and Societyjoanna.email@example.com