Not quite ready to start a degree but eager to move forward with your studies? Apply for a University Studies programme.
Our University Studies programmes will help you to develop the skills you need for higher level study without having to go elsewhere to gain entry to a degree.
You have the choice of two different paths to further study:
- Certificate in University Studies. This programme gives you the academic skills you need to progress further with your studies. The end goal is to get you into the Diploma in University Studies.
- Diploma in University Studies. If you already have a strong base but just missed out on University Entrance, or you need more focused study preparation before beginning a degree, this programme is for you.
We want to help you reach your potential so you can transition seamlessly into a degree at Lincoln.
Certificate in University Studies
The Certificate in University Studies (CUS) is a foundation course leading into a Diploma in University Studies (DUS).
It is taught over one semester and covers the basics needed to succeed at a higher level. Develop language, writing and study skills and hone your abilities in communication and technology, mathematics and economies. You will also learn about environments within the context of a specialist land-based university.
On successful completion, you’ll be able to transfer to the Diploma in University Studies, which is a three-semester programme. If you achieve all As in the Certificate in University Studies, you will be able to fast-track to a two-semester version of the Diploma in University Studies.
- Language and Writing for Tertiary Study
- Mathematics and Statistics for Tertiary Study
- Communication and Information Technology
- Environments, Economies and Numeracies.
Diploma in University Studies
The Diploma in University Studies (DUS) offers supported study, whether you have come to Lincoln with University Entrance or just missed out.
Depending on your entry qualifications, you can complete the Diploma in University Studies (DUS) in two or three semesters. The aim is to develop your academic communication, study and research skills as you study a range of other courses selected from our Bachelor’s programmes.
You will also take part in the Skills for Success programme, which offers additional tutoring in a range of academic disciplines and provides assistance with study skills, assignments and general guidance.
This qualification leads into degree studies at Lincoln University.
Three semester programme content
The programme of study for the three semester diploma includes:
- Academic Communication and Study Skills
Plus two of the following courses:
- Mathematics and Statistics for Tertiary Study 2
- Business and Economics
- Science for Tertiary Study
- Te-Tu-a-Uri: Introduction to Māori Culture and Society
- Land and Environment.
- Nine 100-level courses from the Bachelor's degree schedule and a compulsory 'Skills for Success' programme.
Two semester programme content
The programme of study for the two semester diploma includes:
- Eight 100-level courses from the Bachelor’s degree schedule, and a compulsory 'skills for success’ programme.
Dorota (Dot) Brodala - Academic Coordinator