Advanced Water Resources
*This course is not currently being offered in 2024.
You’ll be given a comprehensive, in-depth knowledge of a multitude of water resource topics that will enable you to become an effective water resource manager.
What you will learn
After successfully completing this course, you’ll be able to:
- Critically discuss key paradigms and approaches in water and environmental management.
- Recognise and explain different water and environmental management objectives.
- Define and structure complex water resource management problems.
- Analyse what constitutes effective governance, policy and planning in the context of water resource management.
- Explain challenges and opportunities for integrated land and water planning in relation to an empirical case study catchment.
- Critically apply an ecosystems services analytical framework to incorporate environmental, economic, social and cultural values in waterways.
- Understand the legislative and policy framework for freshwater planning and management in Aotearoa-New Zealand.
- Understand the Treaty of Waitangi settlement process and its implications for water resources, and Māori values in water management.
- Contribute effectively to an interdisciplinary team working on water resource issues.
- Communicate concepts effectively and usefully in writing and verbally to a range of audiences.
Dr Leanne Morgan
University of Canterburyleanne.firstname.lastname@example.org