Dairy Production Science
Grow your understanding of the science underpinning Aotearoa-New Zealand’s dairy production. Expand your abilities using scientific literature to evaluate current nutrition, reproduction and lactation of dairy cattle, and then to design future dairy nutrition, reproduction and lactation plans.
|Prerequisites and Restrictions|| You must satisfy the following requirement(s):
What you will learn
After successfully completing this course, you’ll be able to:
- Justify stocking rates, calving dates and drying off dates of dairy cows and their replacements in relation to the seasonal feed supply.
- Discuss the basis of intake and performance of dairy cows relating to grazing management and pasture and supplement allocation.
- Determine the energy, protein and mineral requirements of dairy cows, and explain how nutritional management influences health and performance of livestock
- Demonstrate your critical thinking by weighing, evaluating and integrating new information into your understanding of the issues.
- Communicate effectively using decision support tools to convey information.
Dr Racheal Bryant
Department of Agricultural Sciences[email protected]