Food safety: Microbial pathogens and HACCP
A comprehensive overview of micro-organisms and toxins involved in foodborne disease and spoilage, environmental hazards that threaten food safety and principles of HACCP.
|Available semesters||Semester 1 2023|
What you will learn
After successfully completing this course, you'll be able to:
- Describe the major risks to human health from pathogenic microorganisms in contaminated foods
- Identify key points in the food production chain whereby foodborne pathogens may be found
- Apply HACCP principles to food preparation and production to mitigate the risks of foodborne illness
- Conduct laboratory experiments to illustrate important principles related to the detection and enumeration of microorganisms in food
- Describe the major risks to human health from hazardous chemicals in contaminated foods.
Professor Stephen On
Associate Dean of Research
Department of Food, Wine and Molecular Biosciences[email protected]