You’ll grow your knowledge of the biology and control of important insects, plant diseases, weeds of horticultural and agricultural crops and how to tackle that safely, responsibly and efficiently with agrichemicals.
|Prerequisites and Restrictions|| You must satisfy the following requirement(s):
|Available semesters||Semester 2 2023|
Please note: This course can’t be fully completed online as you will need to be on campus to complete some activities.
What you will learn
After successfully completing this course, you’ll be able to:
- Recognise the signs and symptoms of some important insect pests, plant diseases and weeds of selected crops or pasture.
- Describe the life cycles of common insect pests, plant diseases and weed species, including their survival, reproduction and spread.
- Choose the control options for these important insect pests, plant diseases and weeds.
- Offer a description of the safe, responsible and efficient use of agrichemicals according to NZS8409:1999 Code of Practice for the Management of Agrichemicals.
- Recognise and describe the signs and symptoms of a variety of insect pests, plant diseases and weeds in selected horticultural crops.
- Describe the cycles of a variety of insect pests, plant diseases and weeds in selected horticultural crops.
- Describe the effect of environmental and other factors on the development and spread of insect pests, plant diseases and weeds.
- Describe the control options available for insect pests, plant diseases and weeds in selected horticultural crops.
Professor Eirian Jones
Chair AGLS Postgraduate Research Committee
Department of Pest Management and Conservation[email protected]