Principles of Malting and Brewing
Learn the biological and chemical principles of malting and brewing, and how fermented products are created from their raw materials, as well understanding the processing and quality assessment of beer by chemical methods and using your senses.
|Available semesters||Semester 1 2023|
Please note: This course can’t be fully completed online as you will need to be on campus to complete some activities.
What you will learn
After successfully completing this course, you’ll be able to:
- Describe the scientific and technical principles of malting and brewing
- Produce beer that meets the characteristics and accepted standards of a given style
- Be able to complete a beer brewing process and analyse and interpret the result
- Evaluate the role of raw ingredients, production, quality and sustainability processes for producing a range of beer styles
- Describe the market forces that drive the development of new beer styles.
Dr Luca Serventi
Department of Wine, Food and Molecular Biosciences[email protected]