Adventure Tourism and Outdoor Recreation
You’ll get to grips with the nature of sociological, psychological and geographical aspects of outdoor recreation and adventure tourism.
|Prerequisites and Restrictions|| You must satisfy the following requirement(s):
|Available semesters||Semester 2 2022|
What you will learn
After successfully completing this course, you’ll be able to:
- Outline the characteristics of outdoor recreation and recreationists, adventure-based tourists and extreme sport participants.
- Describe the history and development of recreation, tourism, sport and adventure in outdoor environments.
- Explain the benefits (personal, social, environmental and economic) of outdoor recreation and adventure tourism for participants.
- Discuss the soci-cultural and environmental impacts associated with using nature-based settings for recreation, tourism and sport.
- Reflect on the psychological and sociological dimensions of outdoor recreation including motivation, attitudes and perceptions.
- Evaluate the meaning and significance of risk (and its management) in the outdoor recreation and adventure tourism management context.
- Identify and discuss a range of influences on the development of outdoor recreation activities at the local and global scale.
Dr Emma J. Stewart
Faculty of Environment, Society and Design[email protected]