Te Tiriti o Waitangi (The Treaty of Waitangi)
You’ll get acquainted with the Treaty of Waitangi and its application to contemporary Aotearoa-New Zealand society.
|Prerequisites and Restrictions|| You must satisfy the following requirement(s):
|Available semesters||Semester 1 2023|
What you will learn
After successfully completing this course, you’ll be able to:
- Explain why we have a Treaty and introduce the historical, social, economic, and political elements that led to the institution of the Treaty of Waitangi as the founding document of Aotearoa-New Zealand.
- Study the circumstances of the signing at Waitangi and elsewhere.
- Discuss the Treaty Articles and to identify and explain the discrepancies between the Māori and English versions.
- Examine what happened after the Treaty; the wars, raupatu, legislation, protests and other significant events in colonial and recent history in terms of sovereignty, rights, land and the Treaty.
- Explain the reconciliation and restoration, how and why the Waitangi Tribunal was established and its function in the processing of Maori claims.
- Discuss Treaty Principles in the context of Māori and the Crown’s paradigm.
- Examine and reflect on Treaty settlements.
- Develop a broad understanding of the significance of the Treaty in contemporary Aotearoa-New Zealand, applying this in the context of modern commerce and life, extending this to kaitiakitanga and land use/management.
Faculty of Environment, Society and Design[email protected]