Te-Tu-a-Uri: Introduction to Maori Culture and Society
An introduction to Te Ao Māori, traditional Māori cultural values, social principles and world view including relationship to nature and the natural environment.
This course is available online as part of the Certificate in University Studies programme.
What you will learn
After successfully completing this course, you’ll be able to:
- Essentially understand and explain tikanga Māori values, attitudes and beliefs.
- Understand ritenga (practice) and its expression across different context.
- Describe and explain concepts of te ao Māori in a mana whenua (localised) context.
- Comfortably and respectfully engage with Māori communities through interaction and communication.
- Discuss the importance of cultural contexts and cross-cultural experiences.
- Be able to critically analyse academic literature.
- Acknowledge the importance of te ao Māori in a contemporary context.
- Recognise the implications of tikanga Māori in academic study.
- Appreciate cultural diversity by understanding cultural differences.
University Studies and English Language Divisionemma.firstname.lastname@example.org