Te-Tu-a-Uri: Introduction to Maori Culture and Society
An introduction to Te Ao Māori, traditional Māori cultural values, social principles and world view including relationship to nature and the natural environment.
|Available semesters||Semester 2 2022|
What you will learn
After successfully completing this course, you’ll be able to:
- Essentially understand and explain tikanga Māori values, attitudes and beliefs.
- Understand ritenga (practice) and its expression across different context.
- Describe and explain concepts of te ao Māori in a mana whenua (localised) context.
- Comfortably and respectfully engage with Māori communities through interaction and communication.
- Discuss the importance of cultural contexts and cross-cultural experiences.
- Be able to critically analyse academic literature.
- Acknowledge the importance of te ao Māori in a contemporary context.
- Recognise the implications of tikanga Māori in academic study.
- Appreciate cultural diversity by understanding cultural differences.
University Studies and English Language Division[email protected]