Advanced Environmental Management Systems
A course that covers the basis of environmental management systems. This includes contexts for development and application, types and uses of environmental management systems, their limitations and applications across a variety of environmental, resource and organisational scenarios.
|Available semesters||Semester 1 2022|
What you will learn
After successfully completing this course, you’ll be able to:
- Understand the fundamental drivers that underly the pressure on companies to become more responsible and sustainable, alongside the risks and opportunities involved in meeting this challenge.
- Knowledgeably discuss a range of sustainability tools and approaches, their strengths and weaknesses alongside the benefits and cost of voluntary approaches to managing business impact on the environment.
- Recognise the major components of an environmental management system; how to apply them incorporating principles and applications including ISO 14001 and The Natural Step and Cleaner Production.
- Assess the suitability of a current or proposed business, identifying opportunities for change and improvement.
- Select then apply the most appropriate approach and tool for a particular situation, and engage others on the journey.
- Critically evaluate company communications with stakeholders about the company’s sustainability performance, and be familiar with the tools governments use to promote sustainable business practices.
- Demonstrate your skills in research, enquiry and both written and oral communications, and your ability to conduct independent and group research.
- Appreciate the role business and other organisations can play in achieving environmental, social and financial sustainability, along with the responsibilities they bear to demonstrate responsible practice.
- Build your own commitment to professional and ethical standards of behaviour, based on knowledge and application of professional codes of conduct.
Dr Lin Roberts
Department of Environmental Management[email protected]