Advanced Environmental Management Systems
A course that covers the basis of environmental management systems. This includes contexts for development and application, types and uses of environmental management systems, their limitations and applications across a variety of environmental, resource and organisational scenarios.
|Available semesters||Semester 1 2023|
What you will learn
After successfully completing this course, you’ll be able to:
- Understand the fundamental drivers that underly the pressure on companies to become more responsible and sustainable, alongside the risks and opportunities involved in meeting this challenge.
- Knowledgeably discuss a range of sustainability tools and approaches, their strengths and weaknesses alongside the benefits and cost of voluntary approaches to managing business impact on the environment.
- Recognise the major components of an environmental management system; how to apply them incorporating principles and applications including ISO 14001 and The Natural Step and Cleaner Production.
- Assess the suitability of a current or proposed business, identifying opportunities for change and improvement.
- Select then apply the most appropriate approach and tool for a particular situation, and engage others on the journey.
- Critically evaluate company communications with stakeholders about the company’s sustainability performance, and be familiar with the tools governments use to promote sustainable business practices.
- Demonstrate your skills in research, enquiry and both written and oral communications, and your ability to conduct independent and group research.
- Appreciate the role business and other organisations can play in achieving environmental, social and financial sustainability, along with the responsibilities they bear to demonstrate responsible practice.
- Build your own commitment to professional and ethical standards of behaviour, based on knowledge and application of professional codes of conduct.
Dr Shannon Page
Head of Department
Department of Environmental Management[email protected]